[ESS] Installing, testing various ESS, does roxygen -> html work for you?

Ista Zahn |@t@z@hn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 29 16:26:08 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 using gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Sparapani, Rodney <rsparapa using mcw.edu> wrote:
>>  I'll just tackle this one...
>>
>>> Question 1.
>>>
>>> Is this right: If ESS is installed in the system, there's no way to avoid it.
>>
>> No.  Depending on where it is...

<snip>

> One person wrote privately with the advice that I can unload a
> package. There was no information about how to actually do this,
> however.  I find it is easier said than done.
>
> This fails because of dependencies
>
> M-x unload-feature
>
> Minibuffer message: "Loaded libraries
> ("/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/ess-help.elc"
> "/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/ess/ess-tracebug.elc",...followed by
> about 10 more things... depend on
> /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/ess.elc."
>
> If you look at Chapter 15 in the Emacs lisp docs
> (http://www.bookshelf.jp/texi/lispref/elisp-en_15.html) it says
> packages can help this by including an unload hook, or the user can
> add a  force option. The force option is achieved by first C-u, as in
>
> C-u M-x unload-feature.
>
> After that ESS is no longer loaded. However, after that action, I
> don't understand how to load the ESS I want. All of the ESS docs say
> this has to be done in my init.el file, but that's already been
> processed.
>
> Here was my best idea so far. It does not work right, but it seemed
> like a good idea.  At the top of ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> (unload-feature 'ess 'force)
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/pauljohn/.emacs.d/ESS/lisp/")
> (load "ess-site")
>
> Unfortunately, after that, M-x ess-version says it is till using the
> one in /usr/share/emacs.  Load path puzzle, I suppose.

Not a puzzle really, the rule is simple: earlier entries in load-path
take precedence over later ones. Something like

(delete-dups (push "/home/pauljohn/.emacs.d/ESS/lisp/" load-path))

should do the trick.

Best,
Ista