[ESS] Installing, testing various ESS, does roxygen -> html work for you?

Paul Johnson p@u|john32 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 29 15:42:39 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Sparapani, Rodney <rsparapa using mcw.edu> wrote:
>  I'll just tackle this one...
>
>> Question 1.
>>
>> Is this right: If ESS is installed in the system, there's no way to avoid it.
>
> No.  Depending on where it is...
>
> If it is in default.el, then emacs --no-init-file avoids it (and .emacs too)
> If it is in site-start.el, then emacs --no-site-file avoids that.
> And of course, emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file ignores everything.

Hi Rodney, and everybody else who has written me privately

I can confirm that I can avoid ALL of the system init packages

$ emacs --no-site-file flop.R

My init.el is executed and I get the ESS from my account.

I think that's a pretty drastic fix. Look at all this stuff piled up
on Ubuntu's /etc/emacs/site-start.d that I don't get anymore:

00debian-vars.el          50pspp.el
50asymptote.el            50psvn.el
50auctex.el               50pylint.el
50autoconf.el             50pymacs.el
50dictionaries-common.el  50python-docutils.el
50emacs-goodies-el.el     50python-mode.el
50ess.el

About other suggestions.

One person wrote privately with the advice that I can unload a
package. There was no information about how to actually do this,
however.  I find it is easier said than done.

This fails because of dependencies

M-x unload-feature

Minibuffer message: "Loaded libraries
("/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/ess-help.elc"
"/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/ess/ess-tracebug.elc",...followed by
about 10 more things... depend on
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/ess.elc."

If you look at Chapter 15 in the Emacs lisp docs
(http://www.bookshelf.jp/texi/lispref/elisp-en_15.html) it says
packages can help this by including an unload hook, or the user can
add a  force option. The force option is achieved by first C-u, as in

C-u M-x unload-feature.

After that ESS is no longer loaded. However, after that action, I
don't understand how to load the ESS I want. All of the ESS docs say
this has to be done in my init.el file, but that's already been
processed.

Here was my best idea so far. It does not work right, but it seemed
like a good idea.  At the top of ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

(unload-feature 'ess 'force)
(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/pauljohn/.emacs.d/ESS/lisp/")
(load "ess-site")

Unfortunately, after that, M-x ess-version says it is till using the
one in /usr/share/emacs.  Load path puzzle, I suppose.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science        Director