[ESS] Different results in interactive vs batch mode

Erin Jonaitis jonaitis at fstrf-wi.org
Wed Mar 4 17:05:46 CET 2015

Hello ESS helpers,

I have been a happy user of SAS interactive mode for the last few weeks, but have run into something really strange.
I wrote some code for data management using proc sql and the data step. I got it working in interactive mode (where "working" means I see the same dataset that my coworker sees independently, using his own programming).
However, when I run it in batch mode, the dataset it produces is not right. I did a little poking at it looks like the batch mode version grabs the first "slice" of the data alphabetically, sliced along one of the variables I'm using to merge the datasets, but ignores the remaining 27 slices (i.e. the rows containing other values of this variable).

I could almost understand it if the interactive mode were producing something wrong. But the fact that the batch mode is getting it wrong... that really puzzles me. It happens both when I use the menu SAS->Submit File and also when I skip emacs and just run it from the command line.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Erin Jonaitis  |  Biostatistician
Frontier Science & Technology Research Foundation
505 South Rosa Road, Suite 100  |  Madison, WI 53719
(608) 535-8300 x2062  |  jonaitis at fstrf-wi.org