[ESS] Problem with (setq ess-help-own-frame t) : emacs answers that "ess--switch-to-help-buffer: Window is dedicated to `*help[R](geom_line)*'

Deepayan Sarkar deep@y@n@@@rk@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jan 26 07:32:20 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Emmanuel Charpentier
<emm.charpentier using free.fr> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I wanted to have a different frame for each request to R help. so i used
> (setq ess-help-own-frame t) in my .emacs.

I think it's important to understand what you want here. Do you mean
different frame or different buffer or different window?

According to [1], a frame is what the rest of the world calls a
window, and a window is what you get by "splitting" a window (e.g.,
C-x 2, File => New Window Below).

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Frames.html

I think the default behaviour of ESS is to have a different buffer for
each help request, which is probably exactly what you want. The
question is, where should it be displayed? ESS seems to use the last
help window used if any, and creates a new one if none exists.

When you say you want  a new frame for it, you mean that a new window
(in the non-Emacs sense) should be created. Is that really what you
want?

-Deepayan