[ESS] Problem with (setq ess-help-own-frame t) : emacs answers that "ess--switch-to-help-buffer: Window is dedicated to `*help[R](geom_line)*'

Emmanuel Charpentier emm.charpentier at free.fr
Sun Jan 25 11:15:56 CET 2015

Dear list,

I wanted to have a different frame for each request to R help. so i used
(setq ess-help-own-frame t) in my .emacs.

I have a problem : the first call ("?geom_line" at the R prompt) works
fine, but a second call ("?geom_linerange" at the R prompt) ends up in
error with "ess--switch-to-help-buffer: Window is dedicated to
`*help[R](geom_line)*' in the minibuffer (retrieved form the *Messages*
buffer).

(setq ess-help-own-frame 'one) works as advertised. The code (in
ess-help.el) is not specially enlightening : it uses *ONE* frame,
defined in (defvar ess-help-frame ...). So it appears that the code *is*
intended to display exactly *one* help page at a time, with two
variants :
	- switching to the last requested help page when ess-help_own-frame is
'one
	- raising an error when ess-help-own-frame is t and the ess-help-frame
still exists.

Do you see a way to effect what I *thought* was advertised : at each
call to the R help system, open (if necessary) a new frame to display
the relevant help page ?

Sincerely,

					Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : I'd appreciate being CC'd of answers (including "Go to hell if
necessary) : I do not follow ess-help on a regular basis. (Yes, I
should... but my days are still 24 hours long, despite my wishes...).