[ESS] Problem with (setq ess-help-own-frame t) : emacs answers that "ess--switch-to-help-buffer: Window is dedicated to `*help[R](geom_line)*'

Emmanuel Charpentier emm@ch@rpent|er @end|ng |rom |ree@|r
Mon Jan 26 10:14:30 CET 2015

Dear Deepayan, dear list,

On 26/01/2015 07:32, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Emmanuel Charpentier
> <emm.charpentier using free.fr> wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I wanted to have a different frame for each request to R help. so i used
>> (setq ess-help-own-frame t) in my .emacs.
>
> I think it's important to understand what you want here. Do you mean
> different frame or different buffer or different window?
>
> According to [1], a frame is what the rest of the world calls a
> window, and a window is what you get by "splitting" a window (e.g.,
> C-x 2, File => New Window Below).
>
 > [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Frames.html

That's what I intended. I am not exactly a newcomer to emacs and spent
some not inconsiderable time reading its manual about two decades ago.
I've practised it on about anything from VMS via VT220 (or, of all
things, a french Minitel...) to Windows to Gnome under Linux. I used the
word "frame" as defined in emacs manual (e. g. something you can create
by C-x 5 2...).

> I think the default behaviour of ESS is to have a different buffer for
> each help request, which is probably exactly what you want.

Indeed.

> The
> question is, where should it be displayed? ESS seems to use the last
> help window used if any, and creates a new one if none exists.

Yes. My point is that, currently, this does *NOT* work. Let's illustrate
the situation : I have set ess-help-own-frame to t. I requested help on
foo by typing "?foo" at the R command loin in the *R* buffer : emacs
created a frame displaying foo's online help. So far, so good. But now I
need help on "bar" :

When I request help on bar by typing "?bar" at the R command line, emacs
does *NOT* display bar's online help anywhere : it beeps and displays
"Window is dedicated to `*help[R](bar)*'" in the minibuffer of the frame
displaying foo's online help.

IMNSHO, this is a bug, at least to the extend that this behaviour is not
what is documented.

> When you say you want  a new frame for it, you mean that a new window
> (in the non-Emacs sense) should be created. Is that really what you
> want?

Exactly : what I want is to be able to have one, two or n help frames
(yes, "windows" in X parlance) available on the screen as necessary :
since R has now about 5000 available packages, I am unable to learn the
syntax and arguments of all the available functions in those packages
(even if Brian Ripley and a few monsters of the same kind seem to be
able to, I'm a mere mortal...), and online help on more than one
function at a time is a necessity.

A nice touch (but maybe not very simple to implement in elisp) could be
to have emacs to kill the related help buffer when the user kills the
frame it's displayed in by using system-level facilities.