[ESS] Macintosh followup advice and question

Paul Johnson p@u|john32 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 13 21:33:33 CET 2015

One follow up inside here

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet using me.com>
wrote:

> > 1. It is VITAL to go into the Mac's Mission Control and change the
> shortcut
> > keys.  THey are currently using Control-up arrow and Control-down arrow
> as
> > window manager things, and if you don't free up those shortcuts, your
> like
> > in the R console is empty, without any joy whatsoever.
>
> I'm with Richard, here. I've been using M-p and M-n for years to travel
> the command history.
>
> What I do need to tell my students who use a (Canadian) French keyboard is
> to rebind the Meta key from Option/Alt to Command. This is because the
> Option key on (some?) non-English keyboards is used to access characters
> such as {, }, [ and ].
>
> > 2. Also we need to say "XQuartz" is a mandatory install, there's no point
> > having R without it.
>
> With Stephen for this one. Granted, I'm not the most graphics heavy user,
> but I've only ever had to use XQuartz to display rgl graphics.
>
> If we don't have XQuartz installed, we don't even see the output that uses
tcltk, such as the repo chooser in install.packages.  I'm not an Rcmdr
enthusiast, but some textbooks eagerly encourage the students to use it.

You mean you can get things like that to work without it?

I got the idea it was required from the R for Mac FAQ

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#Tcl_002fTk-issues