[ESS] Macintosh followup advice and question

Vincent Goulet v|ncent@gou|et @end|ng |rom me@com
Mon Feb 9 19:49:44 CET 2015

> 1. It is VITAL to go into the Mac's Mission Control and change the shortcut
> keys.  THey are currently using Control-up arrow and Control-down arrow as
> window manager things, and if you don't free up those shortcuts, your like
> in the R console is empty, without any joy whatsoever.

I'm with Richard, here. I've been using M-p and M-n for years to travel the command history.

What I do need to tell my students who use a (Canadian) French keyboard is to rebind the Meta key from Option/Alt to Command. This is because the Option key on (some?) non-English keyboards is used to access characters such as {, }, [ and ].

> 2. Also we need to say "XQuartz" is a mandatory install, there's no point
> having R without it.

With Stephen for this one. Granted, I'm not the most graphics heavy user, but I've only ever had to use XQuartz to display rgl graphics.

> Now, my question.
>
> 3. In Emacs Mac, How do you save the output from *R* as a text file?  I
> told the users to just save the *R* window with File->save as and give the
> file the same name as the R file and a suffix "Rout".  User came in showing
> that when he saves the transcript, Emacs only saves a backup file, it never
> gets promoted to a real file. I mean, it is always marked #.  WHen emacs
> closes down, it says do you want to save the files, but in the end the
> result is always #backup.Rout#

No problem of this sort here either using C-x C-w directly or from the menu.