[ESS] Macintosh followup advice and question

Sparapani, Rodney r@p@r@p@ @end|ng |rom mcw@edu
Fri Feb 13 22:48:59 CET 2015

> > > 2. Also we need to say "XQuartz" is a mandatory install, there's no point
> > > having R without it.
> >
> > With Stephen for this one. Granted, I'm not the most graphics heavy user,
> > but I've only ever had to use XQuartz to display rgl graphics.
> >
> > If we don't have XQuartz installed, we don't even see the output that uses
> tcltk, such as the repo chooser in install.packages.  I'm not an Rcmdr
> enthusiast, but some textbooks eagerly encourage the students to use it.
>
> You mean you can get things like that to work without it?
>
> I got the idea it was required from the R for Mac FAQ
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#Tcl_002fTk-issues

I have the same question.  Although, I notice the section Paul linked
to above has something at the end that might explain it...

If you don't like the X11 style of widgets and use command-line R you
would probably want to build R using the Aqua version of Tcl/Tk (see
the `R Installation and Administration Manual'). Note, however, that
such builds do not work when used in the R.app GUI.

However, after reading RTFM, I don't see what they mean.  There is
this no reference to Aqua that I can find.  However, if you download
the R source code, you will see that there is a configure option
--with-aqua  Is this what it takes to avoid XQuartz?

Thanks,

Rodney