[ESS] Polymode is on MELPA

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Sep 16 13:06:05 CEST 2014

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz at gmail.com> writes:
> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> In that case I'd still need to buffers open for the same file, correct?
>> I'd just have them open permanently instead of creating a source buffer
>> when I want to edit source code?
>
> are you aware of outshine [fn:1] / outorg [fn:2]?
>
> They let you work permanently in an ESS buffer and create an org buffer
> (the *outorg-edit-buffer*) whenever you want to edit comment-text (or
> export to backends or do other Org-mode stuff). Think standard
> literate-programming turned upside-down - the programming-mode becomes
> the "master", org-mode (i.e. the text mode) becomes the 'slave' that is
> only called on demand. This simplifies things quite a bit, and is very
> convenient when the programming is more important than the writing.
>
> Outorg treats programming-modes (like R-mode) and org-mode as two
> different views on the same (org-style structured) file, and makes it
> easy and fast to switch between both views. Use the git trunk-branches
> if you want to check it out, they are developed towards a kind of
> 'org-minor-mode'.
>
> You can use Outshine/Outorg in all programming-modes and some other
> text-modes (like message-mode) too, e.g. I'm writing this email in the
> *outorg-edit-buffer* to make insertions of footnotes easier.
>
> You might want to check out navi-mode [fn:3] too, for a very flexible
> buffer-overview and superfast remote buffer navigation and control. It
> has very good support for ESS[R].

Thanks for the write-up.  I am aware of these excellent tools and I use
them already on several projects.  (Hence my slowness in trying
polymode...)

But I was interested to test an even more seamless switch of programming and
writing modes.

I might just not have grasped all of outshine/outorg, but the integration with
orgmode's agenda and scheduling facilities is something I rely on with
most of my projects.

I have not used navi-mode yet.  But I have seen you posting about that
on orgmode several times and it is on my list...

Best,
Andreas