[ESS] Polymode is on MELPA

Thorsten Jolitz tjolitz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:37:39 CEST 2014

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

Hi,

> In that case I'd still need to buffers open for the same file, correct?
> I'd just have them open permanently instead of creating a source buffer
> when I want to edit source code?

are you aware of outshine [fn:1] / outorg [fn:2]?

They let you work permanently in an ESS buffer and create an org buffer
(the *outorg-edit-buffer*) whenever you want to edit comment-text (or
export to backends or do other Org-mode stuff). Think standard
literate-programming turned upside-down - the programming-mode becomes
the "master", org-mode (i.e. the text mode) becomes the 'slave' that is
only called on demand. This simplifies things quite a bit, and is very
convenient when the programming is more important than the writing.

Outorg treats programming-modes (like R-mode) and org-mode as two
different views on the same (org-style structured) file, and makes it
easy and fast to switch between both views. Use the git trunk-branches
if you want to check it out, they are developed towards a kind of
'org-minor-mode'.

You can use Outshine/Outorg in all programming-modes and some other
text-modes (like message-mode) too, e.g. I'm writing this email in the
*outorg-edit-buffer* to make insertions of footnotes easier.

You might want to check out navi-mode [fn:3] too, for a very flexible
buffer-overview and superfast remote buffer navigation and control. It
has very good support for ESS[R].

* Footnotes

[fn:1] https://github.com/tj64/outshine

[fn:2] https://github.com/tj64/outorg