[ESS] ESS Subversion (and RMarkdown)

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 19:06:07 CET 2013

  >> Mathieu Basille <basille at ase-research.org>
  >> on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:41:04 -0500 wrote:

  > And finally added the following to my .emacs (instead of the previous "(require
  > ess-site)"):

  > (load "~/.emacs-site/ess-svn/lisp/ess-site.el")

  > But I'm now unable to load it. If I open a .R file for instance, I get the
  > following error:

  > ERROR:ess-site.el:ess-etc-directory
  > Relative to ess-lisp-directory, one of the following must exist:
  > ../etc/ess, ../etc, ../../etc/ess or ./etc

Check for etc directory in your ess-svn directory. Is it really there?

This is actually very strange. Why the error appears when you open an R
file? It should accrue on ESS load, unless you are doing you own wizardy
in ess-mode-hook.

  > ess-version: 12.09-2 [<unknown>]

  > And I concluded that the current development version was not loaded. Shall I
  > understand from your answer that I was wrong, and that the development version
  > was actually loaded, despite the error message?

Most likely you didn't compile. Our Make is responsible for SVN revision
number in ess-version.

  >> .... and indeed, the current development version still carries the
  >> "12.09-2" version string....  mainly because it still does not contain
  >> much more than 12.09-2.
  >>
  >> To your main question: Yes, Vitalie had planned to look at R Markdown support,
  >> but he has not finished that yet..

  > OK, good to hear that it is planned! I actually tried to install the development
  > version hoping to help on testing this feature -- and the offer is certainly
  > still valid (although my Lisp skills are almost non-existent).

It is planned but trailing as I am overwhelmed with my personal
commitments right now, and I am also in the middle of switching jobs,
thing that consumes much more time than I expected. I have put aside
some hours for poly-mode.el (a new object oriented multi-mode) next
week. If everything goes according to plan you will have a basic version
of it by the end of the week.

    Cheers,
    Vitalie