[ESS] ESS Subversion (and RMarkdown)

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Fri Mar 1 20:00:46 CET 2013

Le 03/01/2013 01:06 PM, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :

>    >> Mathieu Basille <basille at ase-research.org>
>    >> on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:41:04 -0500 wrote:
>
>    > And finally added the following to my .emacs (instead of the previous "(require
>    > ess-site)"):
>
>    > (load "~/.emacs-site/ess-svn/lisp/ess-site.el")
>
>    > But I'm now unable to load it. If I open a .R file for instance, I get the
>    > following error:

>    > ERROR:ess-site.el:ess-etc-directory
>    > Relative to ess-lisp-directory, one of the following must exist:
>    > ../etc/ess, ../etc, ../../etc/ess or ./etc
>

> Check for etc directory in your ess-svn directory. Is it really there?
>
> This is actually very strange. Why the error appears when you open an R
> file? It should accrue on ESS load, unless you are doing you own wizardy
> in ess-mode-hook.
>
>    > ess-version: 12.09-2 [<unknown>]
>
>    > And I concluded that the current development version was not loaded. Shall I
>    > understand from your answer that I was wrong, and that the development version
>    > was actually loaded, despite the error message?
>
> Most likely you didn't compile. Our Make is responsible for SVN revision
> number in ess-version.

Oh.

That's slightly embarrassing. This is why we have the Makeconf/Makefile
files in the main directory! Sorry for the mess. To my defense, I think
Section 1.4 of the manual needs a slight update, since there is no mention
of a required compilation (you know, for people genuinely naive like me).

Needless to say, after editing the Makeconf (to have ESS-SVN living
somewhere in my home directory) and a simple 'make install', ESS-SVN is now
loaded properly, without the previous error, and with a correct
ess-version: 13.03 [rev. 5414 (2013-03-01)]

There are only a few minor glitches related to my own .emacs setup, which
I'm going through now.

>    >> .... and indeed, the current development version still carries the
>    >> "12.09-2" version string....  mainly because it still does not contain
>    >> much more than 12.09-2.
>    >>
>    >> To your main question: Yes, Vitalie had planned to look at R Markdown support,
>    >> but he has not finished that yet..
>
>    > OK, good to hear that it is planned! I actually tried to install the development
>    > version hoping to help on testing this feature -- and the offer is certainly
>    > still valid (although my Lisp skills are almost non-existent).
>
> It is planned but trailing as I am overwhelmed with my personal
> commitments right now, and I am also in the middle of switching jobs,
> thing that consumes much more time than I expected. I have put aside
> some hours for poly-mode.el (a new object oriented multi-mode) next
> week. If everything goes according to plan you will have a basic version
> of it by the end of the week.

OK, I understand the different priorities. If I can be of any help in
testing or discussing the Rmd part, please just let me know (again, I'm
sorry I'm not so much of a Lisper...).

Meanwhile, many thanks Vitalie for the support, it's greatly appreciated!
Mathieu.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard