[ESS] knitr

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Jun 7 15:58:53 CEST 2012

On 06/07/2012 08:43 AM, Yihui Xie wrote:
> Yes, I did not expect partial evaluation when I designed knitr, and
> this sounds like a good idea. Given the current design (parser +
> evaluator + renderer), I do not think it is hard to allow partial
> evaluation of a single chunk and return a character string for that
> chunk. My question is what you are going to do with this partial
> result; it is not a complete LaTeX document.
>
> That being said, I believe the cache feature might be an alternative
> solution. The main reason that you do not want to compile the whole
> document is probably about speed. If you enable cache in knitr, it
> will not take much time on R's side to knit the document. With a PDF
> viewer like Evince (but not Adobe Reader), you can keep the viewer
> open and stay at the page that you want to read; when you knit the
> file again, the page will be updated, so it feels like you are only
> knitting the current page.
>
> Regards,
> Yihui

Slightly OT...

I just wanted to add that I have been playing around with DocView
in Emacs and I have dumped Evince and Adobe Reader for most of my
AUCTeX PDF viewing.  Like Evince, the viewer stays at the current
page while it refreshes, although, it is not real fast.  The beauty
of DocView (like Emacs itself) is that you can customize it:

(require 'doc-view)

(defun doc-view-revert-buffer-no-confirm ()
"type r or mouse button 1 to revert a PDF without asking for confirmation"
   (interactive)
   (doc-view-revert-buffer nil t))

(defun doc-view-enlarge-2 ()
"type 2 to double DPI, i.e. enlarge"
   (interactive)
   (doc-view-enlarge 1.9))

(setq doc-view-continuous t)

(define-key doc-view-mode-map [(C-home)] 'doc-view-first-page)
(define-key doc-view-mode-map [(C-end)] 'doc-view-last-page)
(define-key doc-view-mode-map (kbd "r") 'doc-view-revert-buffer-no-confirm)
(define-key doc-view-mode-map [(mouse-1)]
'doc-view-revert-buffer-no-confirm)
(define-key doc-view-mode-map (kbd "2") 'doc-view-enlarge-2)

(add-hook 'doc-view-mode-hook 'auto-revert-mode)