[ESS] knitr

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Thu Jun 7 15:43:46 CEST 2012

Yes, I did not expect partial evaluation when I designed knitr, and
this sounds like a good idea. Given the current design (parser +
evaluator + renderer), I do not think it is hard to allow partial
evaluation of a single chunk and return a character string for that
chunk. My question is what you are going to do with this partial
result; it is not a complete LaTeX document.

That being said, I believe the cache feature might be an alternative
solution. The main reason that you do not want to compile the whole
document is probably about speed. If you enable cache in knitr, it
will not take much time on R's side to knit the document. With a PDF
viewer like Evince (but not Adobe Reader), you can keep the viewer
open and stay at the page that you want to read; when you knit the
file again, the page will be updated, so it feels like you are only
knitting the current page.

Regards,
Yihui
--