[ESS] proposal re: underscore, part 2

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:20:50 CEST 2012

On 4/12/2012 9:29 AM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> It's not ideal, but since there is no = in the BUGS/JAGS language:
> my hack works well enough.

The '=' hack sounds like a clever thing to do for BUGS, although
(define-key ess-bugs-mode-map "=" 'ess-smart-underscore) hurts my head.

> I think the idea of the BUGS language (inherited by JAGS) was to be
> S/R-ish: it's a model description rather than a programming language
> per se. BUGS is not identical to S/R, but it's almost a subset; the
> R2WinBUGS/R2OpenBUGS packages actually use the R parser on the BUGS
> model file (but I can't remember why: Gelman has blogged about this).

There are parts of BUGS that are not legal R syntax, and parts of R that
are not legal BUGS. But there is a fair amount of similarity, also.

If you guys really want to stay ahead of the curve, Andrew Gelman and
colleagues are developing a new modeling language called Stan, with
another R-ish, BUGS-ish syntax (that's neither quite BUGS or R).

Here's an example of a BUGS model and how it would be written in Stan:

https://code.google.com/p/stan/wiki/Surgical

 From the development and discussion around Stan, I'm guessing it will
be very widely used. The Stan manual, in SVN on stan.googlecode.com, is
pretty good.