[ESS] proposal re: underscore, part 2

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Apr 12 17:08:28 CEST 2012

Jack Tanner wrote:
> If you guys really want to stay ahead of the curve, Andrew Gelman and
> colleagues are developing a new modeling language called Stan, with
> another R-ish, BUGS-ish syntax (that's neither quite BUGS or R).
>
> Here's an example of a BUGS model and how it would be written in Stan:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/stan/wiki/Surgical
>
>  From the development and discussion around Stan, I'm guessing it will
> be very widely used. The Stan manual, in SVN on stan.googlecode.com, is
> pretty good.

I have heard of it, but I didn't know that the syntax was different.
Why does everyone have to come up with their own syntax?!?  Not looking
forward to coding yet another variant of ESS[BUGS].  Remember that the
original BUGS language has morphed, although, the BUGS and JAGS model
implementations are now nearly identical; the command language has
many variants: original BUGS, WinBUGS, OpenBUGS and JAGS!  I'm very
thankful to the authors, but doesn't anyone consider backward
compatibility any more (I know that we do here at ESS ;o)  Sorry,
I just needed to vent.

Rodney