[ESS] Easy argument list: r-autoyas

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Apr 4 21:03:55 CEST 2011

On 04/ 4/11 01:36 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:
> True, but I do _not_ want the closing ")" to be automatically printed.
> The problem is that I have several years of muscle memory telling me
> that the way to close a function call is to type")". This is why
> skeleton-key is usless to me -- I end up typing the closing ")" from
> habit, and then I have to delete it.
>
> This is the same reason binding ")" to exit the snipped is a good idea
> _for me_. My fingers think that when I'm done writting a function call
> they should type ")". By binding this to the key that exits the
> yasnipped-assisted function call I am preserving the definition of ")"
> that my fingers have been trained to. Binding it to C-g is consistent
> with emacs, but not with my R-coding habits.
>
> Here is what I would ideally like: ")" will exit the current yasnippet
> (but only the current one!), while C-g will exit all yasnippets. That
> is consistent both with my fingers' understanding of ") = end function
> call" and "C-g = cancel whatever you are doing".
>
> Best,
> Ista

As a fellow touch typist, I concur.  But, of course, we need to make
all of these choices optional.  For example, as I was watching Sven's
excellent YouTube video, I couldn't help thinking that pressing =
would take you to the next argument.  It was only later on when I
realized there was an audio track that I discovered he was using TAB.

Rodney