[ESS] Easy argument list: r-autoyas

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 6 08:18:35 CEST 2011

    > On 04/ 4/11 01:36 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:
    >> True, but I do _not_ want the closing ")" to be
    >> automatically printed.  The problem is that I have
    >> several years of muscle memory telling me that the way to
    >> close a function call is to type")". This is why
    >> skeleton-key is usless to me -- I end up typing the
    >> closing ")" from habit, and then I have to delete it.
    >>
    >> This is the same reason binding ")" to exit the snipped
    >> is a good idea _for me_. My fingers think that when I'm
    >> done writting a function call they should type ")". By
    >> binding this to the key that exits the yasnipped-assisted
    >> function call I am preserving the definition of ")" that
    >> my fingers have been trained to. Binding it to C-g is
    >> consistent with emacs, but not with my R-coding habits.
    >>
    >> Here is what I would ideally like: ")" will exit the
    >> current yasnippet (but only the current one!), while C-g
    >> will exit all yasnippets. That is consistent both with my
    >> fingers' understanding of ") = end function call" and
    >> "C-g = cancel whatever you are doing".
    >>
    >> Best, Ista
    >>

    > As a fellow touch typist, I concur.  But, of course, we need to make
    > all of these choices optional.

yes, and yes:
1) I dont't want the ")" to be inserted for me, rather type it
   myself, and as such a functionality like  "close current snippet"
   seems natural.
2) This should all be configurable.

  Maybe really convenient would be a scheme similar to the
  'ess-style' (and corresponding  ess-style-alist in  ess-custom.el)
  where choosing one style sets *sevaral* configuration
  variables at the same time.
  In this case, the combined behavior of
   - do *not* put the ")" for me
   - assign "close-current-yasnippet" to  ")"

  could be part of the   yasstyle-old-habits-dont-die   :-)
  for people like Rodney or me ..

Martin