[ESS] Easy argument list: r-autoyas

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Mon Apr 4 20:36:02 CEST 2011

Dear Sven,

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Sven Hartenstein
<lists at svenhartenstein.de> wrote:
> Dear Ista and Vitalie,
>
>> > I would also like to bind a function to exit the snippet to the
>> > ")" key.
>> I find this ")" behavior quite nice, what does Sven think of
>> including it as a feature?
>
> I am not convinced yet. It would be counter-intuitive for me to type
> ")" if the character ")" is already printed.

True, but I do _not_ want the closing ")" to be automatically printed.
The problem is that I have several years of muscle memory telling me
that the way to close a function call is to type")". This is why
skeleton-key is usless to me -- I end up typing the closing ")" from
habit, and then I have to delete it.

This is the same reason binding ")" to exit the snipped is a good idea
_for me_. My fingers think that when I'm done writting a function call
they should type ")". By binding this to the key that exits the
yasnipped-assisted function call I am preserving the definition of ")"
that my fingers have been trained to. Binding it to C-g is consistent
with emacs, but not with my R-coding habits.

Here is what I would ideally like: ")" will exit the current yasnippet
(but only the current one!), while C-g will exit all yasnippets. That
is consistent both with my fingers' understanding of ") = end function
call" and "C-g = cancel whatever you are doing".

Best,
Ista

And I definitely want it