[ESS] showing function syntax

epowell epowell1 at med.miami.edu
Mon Dec 27 17:01:16 CET 2010

I am hoping somebody can help me debug the problems i'm having with ESS
function hints.

I followed the steps outlined by Stephen in this post:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2010-June/006176.html, but it still
doesn't work.

Basically, after I do 'M-x load-library RET ess-eldoc RET' nothing changes
and my Emacs still shows 'ESS[S] [R]' at the bottom.

This is very perplexing because there is a different host I sometimes log
into and the function hints appear as soon as I enter the first parenthesis.
Both are using my .emacs file and elisp folder (as far as I can tell) and I
can't figure out what is different between the two.

I would be soooo grateful if someone could help me debug this.  It's one of
my favorite parts of ess.