[ESS] showing function syntax

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 28 00:35:29 CET 2010

> I followed the steps outlined by Stephen in this post:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2010-June/006176.html, but it still
> doesn't work.
>
> Basically, after I do 'M-x load-library RET ess-eldoc RET' nothing changes
> and my Emacs still shows 'ESS[S] [R]' at the bottom.

have you got the latest version of ESS?  that might help us debug.

> Both are using my .emacs file and elisp folder (as far as I can tell) and I
> can't figure out what is different between the two.
that is odd --what are the Emacs versions on the two machines?  Do you
see "Ed" in the mode line of a .R buffer?

foo.R    ... (ESS[S] [none] Rox Ed)

if not, try re-opening the .R file after ess-eldoc has been loaded and
you have a *R* session.

Stephen