[ESS] ess-tracebug, edtdbg

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 11 17:25:29 CET 2010

hi again,
Norm Matloff <matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Concerning my edtdbg, unfortunately no one seems to have found the cause
> of emacsclient working in Emacs 22 but not Emacs 23.  I'm going to seek
> help from a general Emacs mailing list, but if that fails, I will resort
> to communication from R to Emacs via files.

the problem seems to be with Emacs' goto-line, rather than emacsclient.

goto-line is not meant to be used by programs, as described in the
docstring, which gives an alternative.  When debugging the
programme, I could see that although goto-line was being called, it
was not working as shown by the non-zero return values from the
system command (the number of lines yet to return.)

Also, see ChangeLog for Emacs 23.2 where you can see comments of the form:

2009-09-10  Glenn Morris  <rgm at gnu.org>
  * pcvs.el (cvs-mode-find-file): Use forward-line rather than goto-line.
I've copied the code (below) from the end of cvs-mode-find-file.

To add this to edtdb, I've changed the call on line 121 to:
     cmd <- paste(
        'my-goto-line ',
and this now works.

(defun my-goto-line (line buf)