[ESS] ess-tracebug, edtdbg

Vitalie S. spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 13:29:26 CET 2010

Norm Matloff <matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I tried ess-tracebug, and it looks very nice.  From my point of view as
> an advocate of use of debugging tools (and as the author of a book on
> debugging), the more tools like this users have to choose from, the
> better.
>
> Concerning my edtdbg, unfortunately no one seems to have found the cause
> of emacsclient working in Emacs 22 but not Emacs 23.  I'm going to seek
> help from a general Emacs mailing list, but if that fails, I will resort
> to communication from R to Emacs via files.

Dear Norm,

When I started developing ess-tracebug I was inspired by edtdbg and
even implemented the first version by copying the etddbg idea to use R's sink
function.

I  avoided emacsclient and implemented the communication via files. Must admit,
it was a nightmare. It worked extremely unreliable with no explicit errors and
obscure bugs which I do not understand even to this day.

In ess-tracbug I am using the process-filter to do all the processing directly
in emacs. This is of course very customized to emacs solution. The aim of etddbg
is broader, to offer a uniform debug capabilities to different
applications. This makes this two projects a complementaries and not competitors
and worth developing both.

I didn't have time to dwell into emacs interface to etddbg. Hopefully will be
able to do it these days. Quite sure that will find many things to learn over
there.

Best,
Vitalie.