[ESS] submitting SAS files: SASUSER.REGSTRY

Samuels, Laurie l.samuels at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri May 15 21:20:58 CEST 2009

Thanks for your response- I don't think I need the registry either; I
just wanted to make sure ESS was working the way it's supposed to, since
the results are different from what I usually see. If I had looked here
first,
http://support.sas.com/kb/13/838.html,I would have found out that I'm
getting the message because ESS tells SAS to use the -RSASUSER option,
which is an option I don't usually use. Live and learn!
LS

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodney Sparapani [mailto:rsparapa at mcw.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 1:09 PM
To: Samuels, Laurie
Cc: ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: submitting SAS files: SASUSER.REGSTRY

Samuels, Laurie wrote:
> I have just started using ESS on Windows with GNU Emacs. When I submit
> SAS program using F8, I briefly see the blue "SAS 9.1" startup image
(as
> if I were actually starting SAS), and then my .log file contains the
> following lines at the beginning:
>
> NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.REGSTRY. WORK.REGSTRY will be opened
> instead.
> NOTE: All registry changes will be lost at the end of the session.
>
> Is this what I should expect to see with submission of SAS programs
> using ESS?  My programs are running fine, but when I batch-submit a
SAS
> program my usual (old) way (i.e., not using Emacs), neither of these
> things happens, so I thought I would ask.
>
> Thank you-
> Laurie Samuels

Sounds fine.  The splash screen pops up, apparently, because your
configuration does not prohibit that.  I think the note is harmless.
If you need to use the registry, it might be a problem.  But
honestly, what is the registry anyways?  If you are asking us, then
you probably don't need it.  I never have (although, it doesn't
seem to exist under UNIX)

--
Rodney Sparapani      Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
Sr. Biostatistician              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor