[ESS] font colors out of sync in *R* buffer

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat May 2 17:28:59 CEST 2009

Ron Burns <rrburns at cox.net> writes:

> I have a minor problem after updating a bunch of my libraries. When
> one of them loads it seems to spew out an extra " or ' or something
> that toggles the *R* buffer into the "pink" font color mode for quoted
> text. R does not think it has mismatched quotes (I tried inputing a "
> but then of course R insists that I match it.) I can't seem to figure
> out a clean way to reset the buffer to it's normal state. Currently I
> C-x-h (select all) in the *R* buffer and then C-w to get rid of
> everything. While this clears the buffer and resets the highlighting
> it seems to be a bit drastic. Pointers to a solution or a sequence of
> key strokes gratefully accepted!

You can enter the " somewhere other than the current prompt. Back up a
line, enter the ", move back to the prompt, and off you go. I routinely
leave little annotations in my transcript buffer for a number of
reasons, one of which is to match up errant quotes. As long as you don't
do it on the current command line, or hit enter, you can type whatever
you like, wherever you like it. R only sees what you send it, via the
enter/return key. ESS sees everything, and doesn't care if you send it
to R or not.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
The contents of this email have been carefully examined by skilled