[ESS] ESS - R freezes on startup error

Pedro Barros pedro.barros at fao.org
Tue Sep 23 11:49:22 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I am using R version 2.7.2, XEmacs version 21.4 and ESS version 5.3.8, but
I've had this behaviour before.

Upon starting XEmacs and R, I usually load several functions, using the
.Rprofile startup files. Sometimes, there is an error in one of the
functions being loaded at this stage (often because they were incomplete
from last session), and what happens is that I get an "error Timeout waiting
for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or ess-loop-timeout". I started XEmacs
with the --debug-init option, but the -debug-init buffer comes completely
empty.

My problem is that when this happens  I lose the R prompt, and I cannot find
out how to regain access to R. I tried the C-g suggestion (many times) but
it does not work.

I would really appreciate any assistance.
Pedro