[ESS] [R] [ess] no waiting after submitting the command

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 17 20:11:52 CEST 2008

Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca> writes:

> [Moved to ess-help where this belongs]
>
> Le mer. 17 sept. à 02:56, whizvast a écrit :
>

>> hi, useRs-
>>
>> i am using R with emacs/ESS (on xubuntu).
>> currently, when i send a large script to ESS process,
>> i have to wait for the whole script to finish.
>>
>> is there a way to immediately return to the editing window
>> after submitting? if there is, how do i set it permanently?
>
> Well, this is not a very accurate description of this issue, but:
>
> Have you tried using the Load File command (C-c C-l)? It's an
> interface to source(), so it does not echo code to the console. It is
> generally very fast.

This may be related to something I frequently run into. I'm running a
lot of simulations lately, and sometimes I can run the code via ESS, and
still continue editing code, reading mail etc. in other Emacs buffers.
Other times, Emacs becomes completely unresponsive until the simulation
completes.

I haven't come up with a reproducible way to produce either behaviour
consistently. In other words, I can enter the command to run the
simulation directly in the inferior process buffer, or send it from a
script file with C-c C-r. In both cases _sometimes_ Emacs locks, but
other times it doesn't. On occasion, I'll get a few seconds at the
beginning of a simulation where I can still interact with Emacs in
another buffer, and then it freezes.

This is a separate issue from the execution speed differences associated
with C-c C-l vs C-c C-r, which are largely avoidable by using the
ess-eval-visibly-p variable. I've been assuming that this problem arises
from something in the way Emacs communicates with comint processes, but
if anyone has any ideas on how to keep Emacs from freezing while running
R simulations I'd be happy to hear them.

Tyler

--
There is no theory of evolution.
Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/