[ESS] the R help system

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Sep 25 04:53:34 CEST 2008

      For me, the response to requesting help with a conflict (described
below) depends on the specific history in that session.  I also have
another problem with ESS that may be related:

SIMPLEST ISSUE:

      If I try "select.list(letters[1:2])" in a new R session, it locks
eventually comes unlocked.  After that, if I repeat
"select.list(letters[1:2])", it seems to work fine.

HELP PROBLEM

      I get several different responses to a request for help for
something with a conflict:  Sometimes it locks up.  At other times, I've
gotten a separate window with a selection box, which I think I should
get.  More often, I get the list of options in a separate split buffer
but with no ability to select which one I want.  For example, the "zoo"
package has a function "as.zoo.numeric" that masks the function of that
name in the "base" package.  If I request help('as.zoo.numeric',
'base'), that help page scrolls by in the "*R* *" buffer.  At other
times, when I request help for "as.zoo.numeric", I get a message that no
such help exists:

No documentation for 'as.zoo.numeric' in specified packages and libraries:
you could try 'help.search("as.zoo.numeric")'

(This is with the 'zoo' package clearly in the search path.)

      Is there some better way to manage or overcome these problems?

      Thanks,
      Spencer

SESSION INFO:

Running ESS 5.3.8 with
GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON

 sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages: