[ESS] take screenshot of active R Graphics window problem (linux)

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 08:36:25 CEST 2008

hi Jay, I'm not on an ubuntu machine to test this right now, but a
couple of quick thoughts:

> 3) In Emacs GTK, I can NOT take a screenshot of an R Graphics:Device 2
> (ACTIVE), even that of a simple plot(1:10).  I get the cursor circle
> for a split-second and then nothing happens.

1. If you want a picture of the active device, why not use the R facilities
of copying device to a file, e.g. dev.copy2pdf and that way you can get
a nice vector output instead of a raster.

2. Have you tried the lower-level unix 'xwd' command, if screendumps are
really what you are after?

thanks, stephen