[ESS] max lisp eval depth & ESS

Jeff Marcus Jeffrey.Marcus at nuance.com
Tue Sep 11 00:43:07 CEST 2007

I just came across this issue myself on Windows XP and encountered the
problem whether using Xemacs 21.4.19 with ESS 5.3.1 or the Emacs
22.1.1with ESS 5.3.5 (provided by Vincent Goulet). I think I stumbled
across the solution.

I had downloaded the R installation zip file to C:/Program
Files/R/R-2.4.1.zip. When I remove this file I can start R with M-x R
successfully. When I put the zip file back, I again encountered the
problem.

The clue was in the *ESS* file produced when I was encountering the bug
which had the following:

[ess-site.el]: ess-customize-alist=nil
[ess-site.el _2_]: ess-customize-alist=nil
(R): ess-rterm-versions-create making M-x defuns for c:/Program
Files/R/R-2.4.1/bin/Rterm.exe c:/Program
Files/R/R-2.4.1.zipbin/Rterm.exe

Apparently the zip file makes the identity of the R exec ambiguous.

  Jeff

Message: 7