[ESS] Emacs 22 -- much less fontification ..

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 18:08:21 CEST 2007

 > > Can someone give a simple example of what used to be fontified in *R*
 > > using Emacs 21.x but is not in Emacs 22?  I still get fontification of
 > > comments and strings in my *R* buffer, see:
 > >
 > > http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sje30/r-font.png
 > >
 > > for an example of what I see.
 >
 > Here's one:
 >
 > http://dsarkar.fhcrc.org/R/emacs-flock.png
 >
 > Note the string "Click on desired location" in the two buffers. The
 > code was evaluated with C-c C-c.

Thanks for this.  I've now investigated my setup and can reproduce
some of the behaviour reported; here's what I found to be a minimal
example:

(This is with emacs-22.1)

$ emacs -q

(load-library "~/langs/emacs/elisp-ds/ess-svn/lisp/ess-site.elc")
(global-font-lock-mode -1)

Visit a.R (below)

M-x R

C-c C-c within a.R produces string and comment appropriately font
locked.

If I skip the line (global-font-lock-mode -1), then the comment is
font-locked, but not the string.

So, can you try adding the (global-font-lock-mode -1) after loading
ESS and see if that (temporarily) solves the problem for you?  That
will at least give us a starting point to look into this.

I've not been a heavy user of font lock, so this escaped my attention
before; the following lines have been in .emacs for quite some time:

  ;; go away font-lock!
  (global-font-lock-mode -1)

Stephen

a.R was just a simple file containing

x <- 10                                 #init value
y <- "hello"