[ESS] BUGS mode

John P. Burkett burkett at uri.edu
Mon Jun 18 17:49:48 CEST 2007

Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> There is no default for .bug files since now there are 2 slightly
> different implementations of the "BUGS language" (for lack of a
> better term).  We now have JAGS which also uses .bug.  And, BUGS
> itself is a legacy only since it is no longer supported and JAGS
> is the future of BUGS on Unix AFAICS.  So, there is no sensible
> default for .bug files.  Here's a snippet from the README file:
>
> Changes/New Features in 5.3.2:
>
>      * Classic BUGS now supported by (require 'essd-bugs) with ESS[BUGS]
> and JAGS by (require 'essd-jags) with ESS[JAGS]. But, only one of them
> can be used at a time since they don't play nice together. Also, C-c C-c
> is now bound to the function ess-bugs-next-action (F12 has been
> retired). And finally, note that essl-bug.el is deprecated and the
> replacement is essl-bugs.el.

Many thanks for your explanation.  I have now upgraded to ESS-5.3.3 and
added to my .emacs file the line
(require 'essd-bugs)
After opening a .bug file, I now see at the bottom of the Emacs window,
just to the right of the file name, the encouraging words (ESS[BUGS]
SVN-23).  However, there is still no ESS menu at the top of the window.
  And as far as I can tell, Emacs is still not appropriately color
coding elements of the bugs program.
Any suggestions as to what further steps are need would be most welcome.
Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett