[ESS] BUGS mode

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Jun 18 17:57:10 CEST 2007

John P. Burkett wrote:

> Many thanks for your explanation.  I have now upgraded to ESS-5.3.3
> and added to my .emacs file the line
> (require 'essd-bugs)
> After opening a .bug file, I now see at the bottom of the Emacs
> window, just to the right of the file name, the encouraging words
> (ESS[BUGS] SVN-23).  However, there is still no ESS menu at the top of
> the window.  And as far as I can tell, Emacs is still not
> appropriately color coding elements of the bugs program.
> Any suggestions as to what further steps are need would be most welcome.
> Best regards,
> John

Hi John:

There is no ESS menu for BUGS since there is not much sensible that you can
do with BUGS interactively (technically, the capability is there, but who
needs it?).  Although, CPU speeds have increased dramatically, my shortest
BUGS runs are still around 10 minutes.  So, ESS[BUGS] has been implemented
mostly from the batch perspective, therefore, no menu.  Looking forward to
the day when my runs are only in the seconds and a menu would make sense :o)
As to what the problem is with Emacs, can't really help you there.  Don't
use it.  And, I hear there may be issues with 22.1 as well.  Sorry.

Rodney