[ESS] Startup error on XEmacs with ESS 2.5.11 (error "Stack overflow in regexp matcher")

john.gavin at ubs.com john.gavin at ubs.com
Fri Mar 3 10:51:26 CET 2006

Hi Rodney,

> However, your
> location of installing ESS seems very weird.  It looks like an Emacs
> installation
> shoe-horned into a location of the XEmacs package system where it
> doesn't belong.  When you are using the XEmacs package system and you
> have to (load ...) rather than (require ...), there is
> something wrong.
> With the release of the native Windows XEmacs 21.4.19, you can unpack
> ESS under the site-packages directory (where Emacs packages
> are supposed
> to go), which is by default C:\Program
> Files\XEmacs\site-packages.  For
> example, ess-site.el would be found at
> C:\Program Files\XEmacs\site-packages\ess\lisp\ess-site.el

Thanks, I didn't know that. The changes you suggest work
so I will do that from now on.

> You seem to have over-ridden the default so for you, I guess,
> it should be
>
> C:/etc/XEmacs/site-packages/ess/lisp/ess-site.el

Yes. My institution's official version is still XEmacs 21.4.6
which I left alone in the default directory 'C:\Program Files\XEmacs'.
I put the up-to-date version (21.4.19) elsewhere,
assuming that having two versions wont create a problem (I havent
noticed anything).

Regards,

John.

> Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:04:50 -0600
> From: Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>
> Subject: Re: [ESS] Startup error on XEmacs with ESS 2.5.11 (error
> 	"Stack overflow in regexp matcher")
> To: john.gavin at ubs.com
> Cc: ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> john.gavin at ubs.com wrote:
>
> >Hi Rodney,
> >
> >I tried to upgrade from XEmacs 21.4.6 to 21.4.19, as you sugget,
> >but that didnt change anything.
> >
> >However, I also decided to start looking for the problem
> >all over again (with XEmacs 21.4.19 and ESS 5.2.12).
> >Eventually, I found the problem to be the line
> >'(setq default-directory "s:/qrms/stats/r")' in my init.el
> >which appears just after loading ess-site.el.
> >
> >(require 'executable)
> >(load "C:/etc/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")
> >(setq default-directory "s:/qrms/stats/r")
> >
> >Commenting out or moving the line '(setq default-directory
> "s:/qrms/stats/r")'
> >to the end of my init.el file works.
> >A far as I can remember this line '(setq default-directory
> "s:/qrms/stats/r")'
> >has been in my init.el file for ages and in that position in
> the file.
> >So I am no wiser as to what caused this problem
> >but at least I can start XEmacs again with any errors.
> >
> >Thanks for your time.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >John.
> >

> Hi John:
>
> I don't see why that would matter, but I'm glad that you found it!
> However, your
> location of installing ESS seems very weird.  It looks like an Emacs
> installation
> shoe-horned into a location of the XEmacs package system where it
> doesn't belong.  When you are using the XEmacs package system and you
> have to (load ...) rather than (require ...), there is
> something wrong.
> With the release of the native Windows XEmacs 21.4.19, you can unpack
> ESS under the site-packages directory (where Emacs packages
> are supposed
> to go), which is by default C:\Program
> Files\XEmacs\site-packages.  For
> example, ess-site.el would be found at
> C:\Program Files\XEmacs\site-packages\ess\lisp\ess-site.el
> You seem to have over-ridden the default so for you, I guess,
> it should be
>
> C:/etc/XEmacs/site-packages/ess/lisp/ess-site.el
>

> Rodney

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intend...{{dropped}}