[ESS] R: ess problems on xemacs 21.4.19 on AIX

CECCHI FABIO fabio.cecchi at bancaditalia.it
Fri Mar 3 12:11:05 CET 2006

Hi Stephen,
	with respect the "voidness" of ess-s-versions-create, following your suggestion I solved the problem.
So many thanks! Below I describe what I have done.
Now I can use xemacs 2.4.19 with tarballs xemacs-sumo-2005-03-07.tar.bz2 and xemacs-mule-2005-03-07.tar.bz2 and ess-5.2.12.

I also tried to use the last tarballs (xemacs-sumo-2005-12-08.tar.bz2 tarball and xemacs-mule-2005-12-08.tar.bz2) of xemacs with such trick but the problem  related to error:
	Symbol's value as variable is void: inferior-ess-font-lock-keywords
remains.

Many thanks,
Fabio
****
Using the command "M-x locate-library RET essd-sp6" I saw that essd is located in the old tree (i.e. of ess-5.2.3) as you suspected. This installation is under the 'canonical' place of xemacs (i.e. xemacs-packages/etc/ess, xemacs-packages/lisp/ess, xemacs-packages/man/ess and xemacs-packages/info/ess.info).
In order to follow your suggestion I deleted this directories. The ess-5.2.12 tree is located under xemacs-packages with the same name (ess-5.2.12) and in the site-start.el I put
(load "/opt/freeware/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ess-5.2.11/lisp/ess/ess-site")
 where the "/opt/freeware" is the root of installed packages with rpm system on AIX.

For what I can understand now xemacs loads ess-site from "/opt/freeware/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ess-5.2.11/lisp/ess" since it shows this pathname in the minibuffer during the loading, and the problem disappear.

****