[ESS] ID utils and R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 20:02:49 CEST 2006

On 8/23/06, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Has anybody tried to use ID Utils
> > (http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/) with R? I've googled, searched
> > the ess and R help lists, and have found nothing.

(...)
> That's a very interesting suggestion.  To take this further, somebody
> needs to volunteer to write an R scanner.  Details on what's necessary
> are available @
> http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/manual/html_node/Defining-scanners.html#Defining-scanners

I've placed a patch against the current idutils-4.2 at

http://asterias.bioinfo.cnio.es/other-files/idutils-R-scanner.patch.bz2

or, alternatively, the patched version here

http://asterias.bioinfo.cnio.es/other-files/idutils-4.2-R.tar.gz

Note that the R scanner is just the perl scanner with a few minor
changes and that I think I really don't understand the code, but as
far as I can tell it works (the way I'd like). (There is a silly
example file under the R-scanner directory, to see what the scanner is
doing).

If you try it and it doesn't work, please let me know. I think it also
does reasonable things with Python code. If people try it and it seems
to work, I'll send the changes to the idutils maintainers.

I have placed a few miscell. notes on my brief explorations of idutils
et al. at:

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/idutils-et-al.html

Thanks,

R.