[ESS] ID utils and R

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 20:05:43 CEST 2006

hi Ramon,

 > Has anybody tried to use ID Utils
 > (http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/) with R? I've googled, searched
 > the ess and R help lists, and have found nothing.

I've not seen this, but previously used things like etags in C.
(cscope is also a great tool in this regard, but for C only).
It sounds interesting.

 > P.D.  ID utils is somewhat like [ce]tags, and has support under Emacs
 > (see section 5.2 of the ID utils manual:
 > http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/manual/idutils.html#Emacs-gid-interface
 > ). One nice feature is that, when searching for matches, it shows the
 > results in a compilation buffer, so you can see where, in each file,
 > the identifier is used, and visit that if you want. I like this a lot
 > better than "tags-search".

I'd be interested in pursuing this sometime...

(And, as a reminder, there is a simple example regexp for S functions
listed in the ESS manual, i.e.

     etags --language=none
     --regex='/\([^ \t]+\)[ \t]*<-[ \t]*function/\1/' *.R

Stephen