[ESS] ID utils and R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 02:35:53 CEST 2006

On 8/23/06, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> > Has anybody tried to use ID Utils
> > (http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/) with R? I've googled, searched
> > the ess and R help lists, and have found nothing.
> >

> That's a very interesting suggestion.  To take this further, somebody
> needs to volunteer to write an R scanner.  Details on what's necessary
> are available @
> http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/manual/html_node/Defining-scanners.html#Defining-scanners
>
> And, for those of you involved in large statistical software projects,
> this package deserves a look.  Currently supported languages are
> C/C++/Java, Assembly, Perl and Lisp (hint, hint, ESS brethren).
> Personally, I'd also like to see a SAS scanner.  When I get some free
> time (ha, ha), I'll have to take a closer look at this.

Hi Rodney,

I've kept playing with it. I realized that using the perl scanner,
instead of the text one, for R files (this can be done via the
language map file) gives much more reasonable output.  So the last
copule of evenings I've been looking at the scanner code and, using
the perl one as a basis, I've been hacking one for R. It seems to work
reasonably well. I'll let  the list now when its done (I expect no
more than a week).

I haven't written a line of SAS in the last 8 years, but a quick
solution could be to use the perl scanner and modify, if needed, which
are chacaters of tokens and which are delimiters.

Best,

R.