[ESS] Debugging in R

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Jun 24 20:11:17 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 04:40 +0200, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> I do not really follow this. There are two basic ways to do debugging as I
> understand it. One is to use the debug package, which I have no expeience
> with, and the other is to use the build in R commands.
The debug package is an R package, an ESS package, or an emacs package?
I didn't see any reference to it in the ESS info file.

> For my case, everything I have tried works fine. And I am positive that
> options(error = recover) works fine.
>
> Have you set you editor to something strange? I get
>   > getOption("editor")
>   [1] "emacsclient"
So do I.

Martin M observed in a different message that the use of
options(error=recover) hangs some things, but not others.

This is very odd, since what I experienced was that both the R session
and emacs were totally frozen--no response to keyboard or mouse, no
display of the stuff inside the frame.  Killing the R process didn't
help.  I had to kill my whole emacs session.

Maybe some configuration info is relevant.
Running Debian GNU/Linux, basically testing (just a hair beyond the
recent release).
emacs21              21.4a-1
r-base-core          2.1.0-1
kdelibs              4:3.3.2-6.1
xserver-common       4.3.0.dfsg.1-14

I do seem to recall having error=recover work OK in ESS fairly
recently..