[ESS] 'Lisp nesting exceeds 'max-lisp-eval-depth''

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 18:32:22 CET 2004

hi Scot,

did you try the latest ESS (5.2.3) and the recent suggestion from John
Fox to try a different ess-site.el:

http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/

-----
Note: At the time of writing, a bug in the ESS file ess-site.el is
causing ESS not to load properly, reporting an error message such as,
"Invalid read syntax: 'Cannot read unreadable object'." The ESS folks
are aware of the problem and will fix it, but as an interim solution,
if you encounter this error, replace the file ess-site.el with the
repaired one below; you also have to remove ess-site.elc. Instead of
literally replacing and removing these files, I suggest that you
rename the originals to something like ess-site.el.dist and
ess-site.elc.dist. Note that these files are (in a standard XEmacs
installation) in the directory C:\Program
Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\ess.
-----

Stephen