ess-remote and SAS

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Jul 29 22:23:11 CEST 2004

Please look at the documentation in .../doc/html/ess_5.html

It looks like you are trying to use the technique described in Section
D.3 with ess-remote.  We recommend the technique described in Section
D.4.  See also the first example (SAS Batch) in Section D.7.

The D.3 technique was designed for SAS and emacs running on the same
Unix machine.  The input, the log, and the listing appear in separate
emacs buffers.  I wrote it when 9600 baud teletypes were standard.
This technique doesn't work with emacs on one machine and SAS on any
other machine.

With ess-remote you get teletype behavior---with the data input, the
log, and the listing all appearing in the same buffer.  This is a
valid SAS mode of behavior, but SAS Institute has been discouraging it
for about 30 years.  To make this behavior work, you need to end every PROC
and DATA step with a "RUN;" statement.  The "RUN;" statement is what tells
SAS that it should process the preceding input statements.