customizing ess 5.2.2 toolbar

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 18:10:26 CEST 2004

ESS 5.2.2 adds a few buttons to the Emacs toolbar, but my Emacs window
isn't wide enough to accomodate them, so they expand onto a second line
of buttons. I'd like to either remove some ESS buttons, or, if that
can't be done, turn off the ESS buttons entirely.

There's also an irritating behavior with the added buttons that wrap
around to a second line. This is an Emacs problem, not an ESS problem,
but it's ESS that invokes it in this circumstance. Feel free to forward
this to upstream Emacs folks.
- Load some R code in Emacs, and M-x R
- The Emacs window is split into two, with the R prompt in the lower buffer
- Click into the R buffer
- The ESS toolbar goes away, revealing more source code in the top buffer
- Click back into the source code buffer. The ESS toolbar shows up
again, effectively scrolling the source code down. But because you just
mouse-clicked and the place where you clicked gets moved, your mouse
ends up selecting a region! (At least with transient-mark-mode t.)