[ESS] small elisp library for iESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Dec 6 14:39:24 CET 2004

    Sebastian> Dear List members,

    Sebastian> I wrote a small Emacs library providing iESS
    Sebastian> keybindings to some frequently used R functions
    Sebastian> that may be useful to others too.

    MM> sounds interesting!

    Sebastian> It's my first effort to write such a thing, it
    Sebastian> still needs plenty more work, but it already
    Sebastian> provides a _rudimentary_ Emacs alternative to
    Sebastian> Dr. John Fox's init.el file for XEmacs users. If
    Sebastian> somebody is interested, please send me an email
    Sebastian> and I'll send a copy back. I could attach the
    Sebastian> file in another post, if that is allowed.

    MM> it's allowed when you can specify the mime-type as "text/plain".
    MM> Many e-mail clients use "application/octet-stream" or
    MM> "application/<special>" for all their attachments, and these
    MM> are stripped from postings to ESS-help {for virus/spam protection}.

    Sebastian> Please let me know.

    MM> Ideally, you'd make this available by FTP or HTTP and post the
    MM> URL to this mailing list.
    MM> If this isn't easy for you, send them to me, and I'd make them
    MM> available from the official ESS website,
    MM> http://ESS.r-project.org/

It is now available as
   http://ESS.r-project.org/downloads/r-utils.el

Since you've also asked for feedback:

- It does look alright to me;
  though for cleannes, it would also need things like

  (autoload 'ess-rdired "ess-rdired"    "(autoload)." t)

  and probably a few  (require 'ess-...)

- At the end, it puts all these utilities on the
   F1-F9 function keys and their shifted versions.
  This may be undesired for some users (like me), who have used
  some of the function keys for different things for a very
  long time.

- To make it really slick, I think you should bind these to the
 [iESS] Menu as well.   Since the menus also display
 keybindings, the menu would even serve to look up the "r-utils"
 function key bindings.

 For some readers of ESS-help, it should be an easy exercise to
 achieve the menu bindings...

---

Thank you Sebastian, for sharing your code!

Martin Maechler ETH Zurich