[ESS] small elisp library for iESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 4 14:29:15 CET 2004

    Sebastian> Dear List members,

    Sebastian> I wrote a small Emacs library providing iESS
    Sebastian> keybindings to some frequently used R functions
    Sebastian> that may be useful to others too.
sounds interesting!

    Sebastian> It's my first effort to write such a thing, it
    Sebastian> still needs plenty more work, but it already
    Sebastian> provides a _rudimentary_ Emacs alternative to
    Sebastian> Dr. John Fox's init.el file for XEmacs users. If
    Sebastian> somebody is interested, please send me an email
    Sebastian> and I'll send a copy back. I could attach the
    Sebastian> file in another post, if that is allowed.

it's allowed when you can specify the mime-type as "text/plain".
Many e-mail clients use "application/octet-stream" or
"application/<special>" for all their attachments, and these
are stripped from postings to ESS-help {for virus/spam protection}.

    Sebastian> Please let me know.

Ideally, you'd make this available by FTP or HTTP and post the
URL to this mailing list.
If this isn't easy for you, send them to me, and I'd make them
available from the official ESS website,
   http://ESS.r-project.org/

    Sebastian> I stole many ideas from all over the place, but
    Sebastian> mostly John Fox's init.el and Stephen Eglen's
    Sebastian> ess-rdired.el, so I thank them enormously!

(and give them credit inside some of your files, too, I hope ).
That's one of the nice things about free software:

There are many giants on whose shoulders you can build...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich