I built some RPMS for ESS. Care to try?

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Fri Nov 21 22:44:04 CET 2003

Please consider trying these and let me know if they work or don't.

For RedHat 9 and Fedora 1, I built RPMs for ESS.  These were necessary
because I had to automate the install for lab machines. I'm no RPM
genius, but these do work on the 4 systems I tested.  This RPM drops in
the ess files to /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp and it does the info
directory install as well in /usr/share/info.  So all the user has to do
is start Emacs and type "M-R" and R will start and the ess facilities
are available.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/ess-5.2.0beta1-1Fdr1.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/ess-5.2.0beta1-1Fdr1.src.rpm
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/ess-5.2.0beta1-1RH9.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/ess-5.2.0beta1-1RH9.src.rpm

I believe the RPM approach is useful because it saves the user from the
dangerous prospect of manually editing stuff in /usr.  I have several
friends who want to use ESS, but they aren't such sophisticated Unix
guys that they can follow through with the ESS install.

When new versions of ESS become available, I will be glad to try to
repackage.  The changes I made were rather minimal, but vital!

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504