calling Splus 6 help from within emacs etc.

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Sat Feb 15 21:02:04 CET 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:
>

> > Dear People,
> >
> > Some small issues...
> >
> > 1) When trying to run help for Splus 6 on Linux from inside emacs
> >
> >> help("plot")
> >
> > I get
> >
> > help("plot")
> > emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
> >
> > When running this command on the shell, Splus starts up lynx(!). My
> > question is whether anything can be done to make this work inside emacs.
>
> Which version of Emacs?  Which version of ESS?

Oh, right, sorry. This is Splus 6.1.2. I'm tracking Debian sarge. I have

ii  emacs21                  21.2-1                   The GNU Emacs
editor.
ii  ess                      5.1.24-3                 Emacs statistics
mode, supporting R,S and others

> > 2) Also, I wanted to point out that ESS currently assumes that the Splus
> > binary is called Splus6. In fact (at least for Linux) it is called Splus.
> > Would you consider changing this?
>
> I hate it when inciteful does that...  You _CAN_ change it, read the
> comments in the file ess-site.el...

Yes, but this will get overwritten at the next upgrade, right? Is there a
reason not to just change it?

> > 3) Is the ESS-help mailing list available in archived form? There does not
> > appear to be a link from the web page.
>
> It should be somewhere at http://stat.math.ethz.ch/, I'm not sure of
> the exact location.  If anyone finds it first, let me know, else I'll
> find it sometime after I return to work Tuesday.

I get an "unknown host" for stat.math.ethz.ch.

Thanks.                                                Faheem.