calling Splus 6 help from within emacs etc.

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Sat Feb 15 20:29:31 CET 2003

Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

> Dear People,
>
> Some small issues...
>
> 1) When trying to run help for Splus 6 on Linux from inside emacs
>
>> help("plot")
>
> I get
>
> help("plot")
> emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
>
> When running this command on the shell, Splus starts up lynx(!). My
> question is whether anything can be done to make this work inside emacs.

Which version of Emacs?  Which version of ESS?

> 2) Also, I wanted to point out that ESS currently assumes that the Splus
> binary is called Splus6. In fact (at least for Linux) it is called Splus.
> Would you consider changing this?

I hate it when inciteful does that...  You _CAN_ change it, read the
comments in the file ess-site.el...

> 3) Is the ESS-help mailing list available in archived form? There does not
> appear to be a link from the web page.

It should be somewhere at http://stat.math.ethz.ch/, I'm not sure of
the exact location.  If anyone finds it first, let me know, else I'll
find it sometime after I return to work Tuesday.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ ----------------
FHCRC: M: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(my tuesday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)