Configuration help for R with ESS+XEmacs under windows xp with John Fox's instructions

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Dec 17 02:49:15 CET 2002

Dear Zhu Wang,

At 06:32 PM 12/16/2002 -0600, zhu wang wrote:

>Dear ESS list members,
>
>I think I have followed John Fox's instructions for configuration. But I
>still have a problem. If I follow the step 5 to "specify a Start in
>directory for XEmacs on the Shortcut tab", say, c:\temp, then I have the
>following result:

In the most recent instructions that I posted, this is step 7. Maybe the
newer instructions will prove clearer.

>(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
>c:\Documents and Settings\Default\.xemacs\init.el:

I guess that HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH are pointing to c:\Documents and
Settings\Default\. Is that right? Did you put init.el there?

>If I don't specify a Start in directory for XEmacs, it seems OK except
>for that there are no clear indications for the six icons rather that
>six icons showing "open" if I open XEmacs from "Start-Program-XEmacs".
>If I double click the XEmacs icon from the desktop, I will have error

This implies that the icon files weren't found. Did you put them in the
toolbar directory as suggested?

>(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
>c:\Documents and Settings\Default\.xemacs\init.el:
>
>Timeout waiting for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or
>ess-loop-timeout.

See section 3.1 on trouble-shooting; you can also try adjusting the
configuration settings near the beginning of the init.el file (instructions
are in the file).

>No help would be appreciated.

I hope that this helps,
  John