Configuration help for R with ESS+XEmacs under windows xp with John Fox's instructions

zhu wang zhuw at post.cis.smu.edu
Tue Dec 17 01:32:14 CET 2002

Zhu Wang

Statistical Science Department
Southern Methodist University
3225 Daniel Avenue, Heroy 123
Dallas, TX 75275
Tel:  (214)768-2453
Fax: (214)768-4035

Dear ESS list members,

I think I have followed John Fox's instructions for configuration. But I
still have a problem. If I follow the step 5 to "specify a Start in
directory for XEmacs on the Shortcut tab", say, c:\temp, then I have the
following result:

(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
c:\Documents and Settings\Default\.xemacs\init.el:

If I don't specify a Start in directory for XEmacs, it seems OK except
for that there are no clear indications for the six icons rather that
six icons showing "open" if I open XEmacs from "Start-Program-XEmacs".
If I double click the XEmacs icon from the desktop, I will have error

(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
c:\Documents and Settings\Default\.xemacs\init.el:

Timeout waiting for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or
ess-loop-timeout.

No help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zhu Wang